Desert Flower Blooms

Desert Flower Blooms

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Musings

Well, it has been a while since I came here. I think it is important for me to begin visiting here more often. There is so much going on in my life and my spirit. I need to document and solidify my musings, so that I can make good decisions.

My first thoughts this morning were triggered by the occurences of last night/early morning. Hubby and I have started reading Simplicity by John Michael Talbot with Dan O'Neill. The first chapter is on Humility and what that means in the body of Christ AND how it is walked out in our lives. The questions at the end of the chapter are thought provoking and challenge one to change their M. O. I thought I had it figured out what 'non-humble' task the Lord had called me to work on for the next two weeks. Boy was I wrong!

One of the scriptures discussed in the book is of course from St. Paul's writings admonishing us to not think more highly of ourselves than we ought and to esteem others over ourselves, recognizing that each person is created in the image and likeness of God. Therefore as we relate to each other in this world we are to honor the Lord and His likeness in other people. Basically this is the theme of the Ragamuffin Gospel.

Interesting how prideful I am. I thought I do that! No problem....hmmmmm. But what is my reaction to things that annoy or irritate me??? Do I let those things slide off my back or do I take them to heart and begin to make a talley count, keeping a record of wrongs??? Wrongs to whom??? Who am I to be "wronged?"

Ah... and so the Lord allowed a situation to occur in my life to show me just how prideful and loftily I rank myself. Instead of being gracious and making the best of the situation, I began to ruminate over the circumstances and taking in the bitterness that was beginning to churn in my heart. O wretched sinner that I am. I, of course, have had a morning of meditating on this and now realize that confession is necessary. Acknowledging my sin and my utter weakness when it comes to pride. May the Merciful God forgive me and lead me to life everlasting.

Dove-tailing to this revelation is part of the sermon from this morning's mass by Father Mitch Pacwa. The very last little bit of his homily was on the "yoke" of Jesus. Jesus was a carpenter by trade and yokes were not "one size fits all" but tailor made to the team of oxen. Jesus says,
"Come to me all you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matt. 11:28-30

The yoke He has constructed is tailor made to HIM!!!! He is the lead ox. Yet He humbled HIMSELF and became a man, and so He also tailor makes the yoke we must use as well to fit US!!! So that when He and I pull together, He being the Lead, carries the weight of the yoke. The key is for me to not fight against the yoke, but HUMBLE MYSELF and put on HIS yoke. Only in this way, will I be satified and make spiritual progress.

And so, these musings today give me some food for thought and meditation. Lord Help me to remember that you are part of everyone I meet and I should esteem them better than myself because YOU ARE GREATER!

No comments: